Disappointment of not achieving expectations or good results may leave a teenagers feeling depressed.
In South Africa most suicidal and depression feeling in teens happens when matric results are announced and results ends up being a great disappointment
There are ways of helping teens get through this difficult time
- If you create a safe space you can allow them share their feelings.
- Do not judge them rather Listen when they share their feelings.
- Remind them that they are loved.
- Make sure that they are eating well as depression may affect appetite.
- Suggest and refer them to some form of community involvement to avoid isolation.
- Acknowledge their achievements and hard work.
- Be patient as healing takes time.
- Encourage them to view their failures as learning opportunities.
It is very important that parents and guardians do not make their children feel rejected during this period.
Parents should not make their children feel like they are failure or inferior.Encourage them to keep on keeping on as failure does not mean that they will not go on to become a success.